Monday, October 4, 2010

Guess I could update this blog, right? (IMG heavy!)


So let's show off some tack and some new herd members, shall we?

First up is custom order harness #1, a large-ish Trad scale breastcollar style harness with collar bells.

A study of the breeching and saddle. The buckle is on the crupper top/backstrap base instead of on the backstrap between the saddle and crupper. This is a new design based on a photo I found online, I like it!
The blinker stays are another new design based on another photo found on the internet, instead of splitting 1/8 lace I just take a single length of 1/16th and loop a strap of 3/32 around the midway point, which buckles to the crown piece. Makes adjusting a little easier IMO.

A study of the main lines and checkrein and how they attach to the bit.

A study of the collar bells buckle. I do love these little craft bells, but since many real life collar bells vary in size (smallest at the ends, largest toward the middle), I'm trying to figure out how to make my own. Rio Rondo's concho doming article gives me some ideas...

Custom order harness #2.

Look the same as the first? Well, it might be hard to tell from photos on some monitors, but it's actually dark mahogany and not black. Yeah. I'm going to be working on patterns to get some slightly different shaped saddles, blinkers, etc in the future so I'm not just making clones. :p


I used the same "saddle tan" garment leather that I use for blinker lining to line the saddle here.


And now for a bosal and a halter. (I really love the Stone Palouse mold, can you tell? :) Though her mane makes fitting anything that crosses her withers a pain.)


I got two Amazon gift certificates and some birthday money a couple of weeks ago, so I was able to add some new members to the stables and kennels. (and Lost season 1 on DVD, too)

"Northern Raven", OM TB mare, garage sale find.

"Hello Darling" G2 WEG TB.
My sister actually won him along with an Esprit in the Blab Birthday drawing,
but she gave him to me as an early birthday present. Thanks, Meredith! *hugs*

"Stop it Ron", OP G1 Citation, found at the same garage sale as Raven.
I was watching Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince while I was trying to think up names for my new SMs, so I used lines from the movie that made me laugh. :D I think that will be the naming rule for my male TBs.

"Ghost Wolf Tell Me No More Lies", Breyer SR liver spot Dalmatian. (another naming rule, all the Dalmatians get "Miss Suzie" song related names)

"Kamots", Schleich Wolf Cub. A lot of the Schleich puppies are in scale to the adult Breyer canines...

"Chemukh", Breyer Wal-Mart SR black wolf.

And last but not least, my Breyer Rachel Alexandra. I've been wanting a Ruffian mold for performance showing, but so far I've been "meh" on the color choices. I liked Rags To Riches, but when Breyer announced RA I knew I had to get one. Such a gorgeous bay with lovely markings! I still want a RTR, though, "Katie" here needs a friend to race her. :)

That's all for now! Well, maybe not, Mom just walked in with a package for me... and it's a trade model I've been expecting! I have a Hickstead now! Yay! Pictures to come soon.

Until next time!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

wow, I love that harness and bozal.. actually all of it but those are my favs... your really good at tack making! Im pretty picky as i want the tack to really look real.. with no ragged ends or edges and I see some nice pieces form others out there except for the ragged edges. yours look prefect! I wish I had time to try my hand at it but think I'll have to stick to sculpting..lol Id love to get a piece fomr you someday... I always wanted a western saddle that looked used...like a working saddle you know? I think I saw one once that sara rose either did or had and it looked so real and like a real used working saddle.. I also love rommel reins and bozals... anyways.. love your work! I look forward to seeing more pieces in the future on your blog..( I also need to update mine..lol Im pretty bad at it really..)
Rebecca Turner
www.solticeartstudio.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

oh one more thing.. I love how on blab in your signature you have the photos with blog, website, ebay and stuff.. that is really clever and a really great idea! Id never be able to keep it update though..lol I pretty bad at stuff like that but I saw that and it really stood out! what a wonderful idea!
Rebecca

GWR said...

Thank you for your kind words! :)I've struggled with ragged edges in the past, so it's good to hear a compliment like that. (gum tragacanth is the key! Something else I need to thank Jennifer Buxton for. :D Carnauba creme is helpful, too...)

I'm just getting into Western saddles, I've made two so far from the Rio Rondo kit (you can see the first in my blog title banner), currently working on a third when I get the chance.

I'm still working on perfecting getting my tack to look "new", I don't think I'm quite ready to move on to the next step and make it look "used". :D I do remember that saddle you mentioned, I'd love to either own one of her mini Wade saddles someday, or else make one of my own. Or both.

I love your sculptures and custom work, and I look forward to seeing more works from you. :)

GWR said...

P.S.

"oh one more thing.. I love how on blab in your signature you have the photos with blog, website, ebay and stuff.. that is really clever and a really great idea! Id never be able to keep it update though..lol I pretty bad at stuff like that but I saw that and it really stood out! what a wonderful idea!
Rebecca"

Thanks! :D I think you should try it anyway, I bet you could make something really cool using photos of your lovely sculpts and CMS. :)