Saturday, August 13, 2011

Open House at the UVM Morgan Horse Farm

The UVM Morgan Horse Farm had a free open house on Wednesday, so we stopped by for an hour or two. I would have liked to stay longer, but everyone else was hungry for lunch (and tbh, so was I) so this is what I got.

Enjoy!

Before I switched to the "speed" setting on the camera. Actually,
I like how this came out.

This is the second time this week I've seen a bridle with what
looks like a sidecheck rein hook on the crown. The other was
on a Percheron being ridden at the county fair (photos
from that later).

The horses were being shown off in the paddock out front with
an announcer talking about each horse. Not a good photo-
taking vantage point.

So I moved up toward the barn and took photos by the path
being used to bring the horses out.


Some misbehaving by the barn.

This guy kept neighing back at someone
in the barn. Stall buddy? Girlfriend?


Mr. Loudmouth had a white spot on his butt. Birdcatcher spot? 

Oh, ladies!

One of the weanlings was very curious about us.

Wha? Oh, you're over there now.






Shot of the barn with the Justin Morgan statue out front
That's all for today!

1 comment:

Lauren Wood said...

I interned at the UVM farm back in '99/'00. Vermont Day is the free open house every year in August. Always fun to show off all the horses! I rode a couple of their breeding stallions in demo's my year. Oh - and the check rein photo... the UVM farm uses draw reins but all of their bridles are put together at the time of tacking up, so that they can just grab whatever pieces they need for each individual horse and go. Headstalls, cavesons, bits, reins, girths etc are all kept separate. This way they don't have to worry about what is in use when working multiple horses at once. The reason you see the loop at the top for a check rein is that they use the majority of the same equipment for everything - riding, driving, bitting, etc.