Saturday, November 6, 2010

Silent Saturday!

No, not really.

Here's some in-progress photos of the Western saddle I've been working on. Those fenders kind of make it look like poor Katie's got a really, really impatient rider. ("training" fenders and skirts to lie flat is one of my least favorite parts of tackmaking)


After some trouble getting the fork assembly to stay glued on (finally fixed with Loc-Tite, I think it was the cold making the original glue brittle?), I devised a different method for securing the seat to the skirt. Susan Bensema-Young's method of using wire to secure her saddle pieces was the inspiration, but since I'm working with a resin tree, I borrowed my sister's Dremel.

I drilled four holes in the seat, with recessed grooves connecting each side, then four more behind the cantle. Then after some careful positioning, I poked the tailor's awl through the seat holes to mark the leather, then punched holes through. Then it was a matter of threading 32 gauge wire through the holes and pulling tight, and then twisting and and flattening the wire ends. (they're covered by the chamois and a bit of undyed skiver). The cantle was tied down using waxed thread. And here's the result:

The recessed grooves are so the wire doesn't stick up under the seat covering. I will probably have to file the wire down anyway (flattening it with the hammer made it less pliable).


(earlier photo) Another reason I went with wiring: the fenders are strung onto hammered aluminum rings sewn on to the skirts. I do this because you can rotate the fenders back to fiddle with the girth (not as far as this once the seat and jockeys are attached :p). I also had to hollow out the tree with a sanding drum to accommodate the extra bulk. I don't think glue would have worked with all this, or at least not well.

The girth on the left side is tied at the moment with a latigo knot, though once I've got the holder in place I'll thread it through that. I hope I can muster the courage to try making a woven string cinch and breastcollar for this set, but for now I just made a nice leather girth.

I also made some skiver "gloves" for the fender buckles to keep the tongues from scratching the model. I really want to try the mini Blevins buckles that TWMHC/ALE Ranch is selling. Really cool that someone has made them for the hobby!

And I'll leave you with another new herd member:

Red roan suits this mold nicely!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for joining my blog list! I have to say, it's always fun watching how other folks make tack, like your saddle here. I love how we each come up with our own unique ways of doing things. This is a brilliant design and it is definitely something that will stay together forever ;). I hope the anti-tackmaking gremlins stay away and let you finish this without hangups! Looking awesome ;).

Nichelle said...

Love how the saddle is coming along! It's always fun to see in-progress pictures. :)

-Nichelle

GWR said...

@shannon- No problem, and thank you! Your tack is lovely! I hope I can muster the courage to try tooling, and if I do it's half as nice as yours. :)

@Nichelle- Thanks! I like taking them, and I hope they help someone else with their tackmaking ventures. :)

Anonymous said...

Awww, just keep working at it ;). Let me know if you do try taking up carving, and I'll send along some tips.