Saturday, April 18, 2009

Revisiting an old friend

My latest harness was made for a customer's Proud Arabian Stallion(aka the "PAS"), a model not high on the request list thanks to newer and more popular Arab molds. It gave me a chance to pull off the shelf an old friend from 1991.

I recieved "Thee Snowghost" as a late 14th birthday gift, he was my fourth Breyer ever, but my first Breyer I ever recieved after I discovered the hobby(via the Christmas 1990 HI article). He was also my first photo show horse, winning third place in the dapple greys class in Alison Benuish's Beginners Only show. I was so proud of my boy!

So it was fun creating some tack for him, and this was the final product(sorry there's only the one photo, the batteries were dying and the harness needed to be shipped out in time for a show):



Also, up on eBay this week is this Western snaffle bridle for Impress Me Shannon:



I made the bit, it's twisted from 32 gauge silver wire with a bead mouthpiece. I think every tackmaker should make their own hardware every now and then, be it bits, buckles, hooks, etc(I always make my own checkrein hooks on my harnesses).

Manufactured hardware is great and I'm thrilled the hobby has such talented crafters such as Rio Rondo and Sulser Saddlery and I love working with their creations, but it's fun to make my own, and it lends a certain individuality to the piece.

Until next time!

3 comments:

Mirror Bay Model Horse Tack said...

Lovely harness work! Your creations just get better and better. I absolutely agree that ever tackmaker should create their own hardware. Perhaps you would grace us witha tutorial on your check rein hooks sometime?

I always create my own s-hooks for curb chains. I also get into making teeny tiny jump rings out of the thinnest wire possible for attaching the shark teeth dangles. Ah, the joys of tackmaking!

Braymere said...

My first tack items were made before Rio Rondo(!!) when handmade buckles were the norm. I *still* make my own buckles for some items as well as curb hooks and side check hangers. It's a valuable skill for any tackmaker because sooner or later you will need something you can't buy at either Rio Rondo or twmhc!

I like your PAS, too. I have an old dapple grey one from my childhood, but I'm pretty sure he's still hanging out in my parents' basement in California.

GWR said...

Thanks, guys. :)